Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Around the World

I was tagged by the talented Kevin of Seriously Good for this new Meme: Around the World. Yes! A chance to get out from under this little rock I am hiding and explore my blog archive and bookmarks! (Something I always enjoy)

Here goes:

1) Please list three recipes you have recently bookmarked from food blogs to try:
Oh, the choices! There is so much out there that I have lined up in my food file that I don't know what to place here. These haven't really been bookmarked recently, in fact they have been bookmarked for a while now, but they are recipes that are labeled "must do!" with me...

Masala Chai from the Traveler's Lunchbox - I am more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker, but I love Masala Chai and making it from scratch is something that I have always wanted to try.

Any of the wonderful sounding brussel sprout recipes from Stephen Cooks - Brussel sprouts are my favorite vegetable and Stephen went wild with a whole series of brussel sprout recipes, much to my delight.

Kierrepulla vaniljarahkatäytteellä, a.k.a. Dallaspulla from Axis of Ævil - I had been searching for a recipe for Dallaspulla forever! Well, at least ever since my first bite at a train station kiosk in Finland. When I found this recipe I immediately bookmarked it, and also sent an email to Ævil with profuse thanks...something to the tune of "I can't believe I found you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

2) A food blog in your vicinity:
There are many great Filipino food blogs out there. Here are a few that are based in Manila (like me): Market Manila, Dessert Comes First, Sybaritic Diversions, & Rants and Raves. For a more complete listing of Filipino food blogs click here.

3) A food blog located far from you:
There are tons! Hehe :) Oslo Foodie in Norway is pretty far away from me.

4) A foodblog (or several) you have discovered recently (and where did you find it?):
Doughboy! A great blog from Finland (Is there such a thing as a scando-phile? If so, that's me!). I discovered them when Antti left a comment here. Another nice blog I have come across is Greedy Goose, who I discovered by way of Chubby Hubby. And finally, Around the World in 80 Meals...Jenny left a comment here (that's how I discovered her) because of our similar blog names. She is based in the Netherlands and is making her way through 80 meals of different nationalities. Cool huh? :)

5) Any people or bloggers you want to tag with this meme?
Voilet from Oranges are Free.

That's it! A happy Easter / Holy Week weekend to everyone!

26 comments:

Kevin said...

Joey,

I see what you mean about the pullas -- whether Dallas or Texas.

violet said...

one of my favourite things about reading food blogs is seeing word pairings that are uncommon in every day non-foodie life. such as "good" and "brussels sprouts"

alilay said...

hi, i've been reading your blog and i was surprised to find your entry for lasang pinoy - pulutan in a filipino paper here in l.a. with the photo of the chicharon and your post. the name of the publication is STARIRAY ON PAGE 13 APRIL 7-21 2006 ISSUE

Pille said...

I enjoyed reading this, Joey! But you better make dallaspulla soon, or I'll beat you to it! They're immensely popular back home in Estonia, and I had bookmarked the Fazer-chef's recipe a while ago, when he made them in a Finnish cookery programme. They're quite high up on my list of things-to-do:)

Antti said...

Hi Joey, thanks for your kind words! I was totally flattered to find our blog in your meme :)

ChichaJo said...

Hi Kevin! Yes, I love pullas...and having a US state name in this Finnish sweet gives it an eclectic charm...at least in the mind of this South East Asian girl :)

Hi Violet! Hahaha! So true! But I do love them :)

Hi Alilay! Thanks for dropping in with a comment and so happy to hear you have been reading 80 Breakfasts :) Would Stariray have a website by any chance where I could check the article out?

Hi Pille! The race for Dallaspulla is on! Hehe :) But I'm sure you'll get to it before me at the rate I'm going. Can't wait to make it though because I am just longing to taste it again! Glad you enjoyed reading this post :)

Hi Antti! I was very happy to find your blog :) I loved my stay in Finland very much and enjoy reading blogs that are based (or half-based) there :) I even have a little moomintroll to remind me of Finland :)

alilay said...

ms. joey,

their website is stariray.com but the last time i checked it was not updated. i could send you the copy if uou want via snail mail or tomorrow i'll ask my friend to scan it for me where do i send it though?
alilay

ChichaJo said...

Thanks Alilay! You can send to to me at eighty_breakfasts@yahoo.com. Thanks again! :)

Midge said...

Hi, Joey! Great blog post! BTW, am emailing you a recipe for homemade peach compote soon. I just tried it out last week. It's fabulous on its own, but is absolutely magnificent when used to fill cakes or jelly-type doughnuts. ^_^

ChichaJo said...

Hi Midge! Thank you!!! Can't wait to recieve it :)

Mona said...

Joey, how have you been? I get to do this meme now b/c Violet tagged me , so thank you indirectly I guess:) Hope you had a nice holiday, if you celebrated one last weekend. I'm going to check out some of the people you gave shout-outs to right now.

ChichaJo said...

Hi Mona! I've been doing fine...tons to do, but fine :) Used the holidays to just veg :) Can't wait to read your answers!

paz said...

It's always fun to read your responses to memes.

Paz

ChichaJo said...

Thanks Paz! :)

m3rni3 said...

Kamusta

I happened to chance upon your blog. A really interesting read.
Will definitely try the recipe that you've share if I have the time.I have just started my own blog too. Do visit if you have the time.

Warm regards

Gabriella True said...

Hi. I have a new blog devoted partly to food. Check it out!
http://mylifeasareluctanthousewife.blogspot.com/

ChichaJo said...

Hi m3rni3 and gabriella! Thanks for stopping by! :) You both have great blogs which I hope to explore soon...

chef kc said...

I am tyring to find more pinoy blogs and this really helped.

anonymous paul said...

i love masala chai! but where can i get cardamom locally? does it just go by a different name here in manila?

anonymous paul said...

oops put the wrong link on my tag, this should be correct. spaced out

andre said...

i was reading your blog and noted your search for yogurt. i recently ate at cima, a Greek restaurant on the top floor of shangrila mall. greek yogurt is on the menu and served with honey and pistachios. it's not exactly the right texture. but better than what's available at the supermarket. lamb gyro and roast crab had the right flavor, but needed a bit more seasoning and a tad less garlic for the roast crab. anyway, i think i was there during their soft opening so i shouldn't criticize so much. hope you like the yogurt.

j said...

your blog is making me hungry ;)

Zita said...

Joey,

Asan ka na? What's new??

ChichaJo said...

Hi Chef KC! Glad to be able to help and thanks for stopping by :)

Hello anonymous paul! They have masala chai in Swagat on Rada St. in Makati. They also have Chai in The Coffee Bean, but that one's a little too milky for me. You can get cardamom in an Indian grocery...Assad's on UN Ave. is the bomb! :)

Hello Andre! Thanks for the heads up...I actually tried Cyma in Boracay...will try it out here if only for the yogurt...they say just get the best yogurt you can find here (the Swiss one I think) that is not so super homogenized and strain it yourself...I may just try that one day :)

Hi Jairam! Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comment :)

Hi Zita! Oh boy! Between getting married and moving to my new home I have been, suffice to say, all tied up...miss blogging terribly though and will be back to it soon I hope...all from a new kitchen yipee! :)

Gabriella True said...

ooh. I love reading this meme

ChichaJo said...

Hi Gabriella! Glad you enjoyed it :)