Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fruits of Our Labor

title
There aren’t enough hours in a day. Everyone knows this (except perhaps for some lucky ducks that have perfected cosmic time-juggling), as do I, but every time it’s brought to fore I still shake my head and wonder where all those hours went.

Where indeed have all those hours gone? Not here – it’s been a week since I posted last. Not in my kitchen – I haven’t really been cooking or experimenting in there either. Not shoe shopping – you don’t even want to hear about the sad state of my shoes.

Work – the hungry god to whom I feed my hours. Perhaps you have a similar hungry god in your life? Some are lucky in that this hungry god also happens to be their lives’ passion, and so feeding it is a euphoric release. For many others, this hungry god pays for their shoes (and extra virgin olive oil supply), and so must be fed at any cost. And so friends, this is what I have been up to, when I’m MIA elsewhere in life (including from this blog) – I’m feeding my hungry god.

Now you may read this and think that I’m miffed at my hungry god for chomping away at those extra hours I could have been kneading dough or having before-noon Bloody Mary’s with mum – but in truth, there is no time like now to be thankful you have a hungry god in your life. Especially a hungry god that is growing...even if this means you need to feed him round the clock. Better than a not-so-hungry god that has to cut off its limbs to survive...and woe is you if you happen to be one of those limbs.

Despite feeling weary and beat, I also feel exhilarated. My work-plate being filled to overflowing is only a sign of things going in the right direction. And getting there fast...on a whoop and a gallop. So my hungry god and I sit side by side in this rollercoaster – scary and exciting. I feed him and he feeds me. The fruits of our labor.

Pictured above are some fledgling kaimito (star apple) that has started to fruit at my organic farmer’s. Though small, they were delicious – the flesh soft, white, and silky...and so sweet! They are popping up all over the markets now, both these light green ones and the more common, and bigger, purple ones. I love them cold...straight from the fridge. The green bananas in the background were from my mom-in-law’s cousin whose family has a plantation down south. They are unbelievably sweet and creamy, although they never fully turn yellow. The green tea towel they are resting on was a gift from a dear friend I met through blogging (thank you M!) :)

No matter what you labor at...don’t forget to enjoy the fruits!

25 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'd love to taste that intriguing fruit!

Cheers,

Rosa

The Knittymommy said...

Hey Jo! This is a great post. Just when I was beginning to feel a bit stretched out by my own work, this post comes along. I must be thankful that I do have a work God, just like you.

As for the Kaimito or Star Apple, my childhood is peppered with memories of eating this fruit every summer because my grandparents had a tree in their garden. The helpers used to scoop the meat out and freeze it and we would chomp on the frozen pieces during the hot afternoons. But for some reason, when I entered my teenaged years, it stopped bearing fruit. Your post brought those memories back to mind. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Star Fruit is my second favourite fruit after mangoes. As we don't have kaimitos here in Australia I love vanilla persimmons which almost taste like kaimitos (I think:)

Thanks for sharing your lovely photo!
I love your blog!

Lin

Watergirl said...

The photo is very relaxing to the eye, all that green....
Yay for the teatowel shoutout Jo!

info said...

That is my number 1 favorite fruit in the world. And it saddens me there's none in HK.

Jenny said...

Yes, There ARE never enough hours in the day.

Belinda said...

Hi Joey! It sounds like you have been super BUSY! Bless your heart! I know its a good thing, but yes, work can really demand ALL of your attention sometimes. In my case, its all about horses, so like you, I feel blessed since as you mentioned, when your work is also your passion, its easier to give it your all. :-) I love the look of the pretty star apples...we don't get them here where I am, unfortunately, so I'm going to have to covet yours from afar!

ChichaJo said...

Hi Rosa! Wish I could share some!

Hi KM! Thanks! Yes, right now I am so beat I feel my eye bags are having babies. It’s not easy but I really have to take a step back and put things in perspective and be thankful that I have a way to pay the bills in these tough times :) This is really a summer, backyard tree kinda fruit...so many have memories of it that way! Except for me...my childhood backyard fruit trees were macopa and duhat :) And Indian mango! Glad you enjoyed the post!

Hi Lin! Thank you for your nice comment! I’m happy you enjoyed the post :) Vanilla persimmons sound lovely!

Hi WG! I love all the green...and I love your tea towels!!! :) Thank you!

Hi Info! None in HK? But we’re so near...maybe soon!

Hi Jenny! I agree! I’m still catching up!

Hi Belinda! Aw! Yes, I’m still super busy...it’s a really busy time at work and I sometimes feel my head is going to spin right off, but it’s a busy that’s indicative of good things so amen to that! ;) You are very lucky that your work is something you are truly passionate about!

Rico said...

"My work-plate being filled to overflowing is only a sign of things going in the right direction."

In these times, more work means more blessings.

Anonymous said...

hi joey, i had to reread your post coz for a while there i thought i got lost and somehow thought u were putting an analogy to fruits of labor and u havng a baby! Can u tell ive got babies on my mind lately? Eek! Btw, kaimito was 1tree my grandparents had in their front yard- summer memories! - dee

Jescel said...

work is a blessing, but it can become a curse as well - whether we work to live, or we live to work - is up to us.

I miss kaimito.. this is one of my fave fruits... I like it cold too.

bee said...

gratitude is the greatest gift. enjoy your work.

ChichaJo said...

Hi Rico! I agree!

Hi Dee! Haha! Oh my! That is too funny...nope no baby! Just lots of work, some kaimito, and bananas ;)

Hi Jescel! True! We just have to make sure we allow ourselves to savor the fruits of our work and not get lost in the race!

Hi Bee! It is...it always puts peace in my heart when I’m thankful :)

Suzana said...

Beautifully written post, Joey! I know all about having a god just like that - only wished I could have some star fruit (which I've never had) right now. :)

Ash said...

I hear yeah!! I feel like the hours get shorter every day!
I love the pic!!!

katiez said...

If you ever figure out how to slow them down... Please tell!
And don't even talk to me about shoes.... Mine have been packed away for 6 months!

Shalimar said...

finally internet am catching up... this takes me home this post.. I would climb the kaimito tree we had, never get bored eating this fruit...

Irene said...

I love this photo. I know exactly what you mean about the work God. I feed him chocolate with a splash of brandy. :)

Stepford Mum said...

My hungry god is a little one - a 19 month old bundle of energy! And I love kaimito too - my parents' tree was recently harvested and we've got a fair few of these deliciously sticky green globes in our fridge, waiting to be devoured :)

ChichaJo said...

Hi Suzana! Thanks :) Wish I could share some with you!

Hi Ash! Don’t they really though? I wish they sold extra hours!

Hi Katie! Oh no! Shoe separation!

Hi Sha! Glad to “see” you! :) Gosh I can just imagine how busy you are!

Hi Irene! Thank you! Oooh, chocolate and brandy sounds like a good idea! ;)

Hi SM! And he is such a cute one! Lucky you to get kaimito for free! :)

Shalum said...

I love caimitos too!!! What a lovely picture :)

carina said...

I love Kaimito! We have our own tree, and I am very excited.

Ms Joey, I saw your article in this month's issue of Yummy. You're very pretty :) and that chocolate orange cake is looks so good.

ChichaJo said...

Hi Shalum! Thank you :)

Hi Carina! Aw! Thanks! I blush :) The cake is very easy to make! I'm looking forward to more caimito this season :)

Megumi's Mumblings said...

I miss this fruit! We grew up playing under kaimito, guyabano, and mango trees. My Lolo would get it for us using a 'sungkit' (long bamboo pole with a fish net basket attached to it to catch the fruit... else the kaimito breaks into pieces on the ground ;( ).

We had it with evaporated milk and lots of ice. Best eaten though as is after a patintero game.

Sad thing though that no grocery store here in Japan markets this fruit.

ChichaJo said...

Hi Megumi! I know those sungkits you speak of :) Nice childhood fruit memories you’ve got there! With evap and ice sounds like a delicious way to have kaimito...will try that next time :) Hope you find it in Japan one day!