Friday, August 07, 2009

Tomatoes and the Media

title
Such an ominous title! The tomatoes one usually equates with the media are of the rotten variety... figuratively thrown at their ill-fated targets. But, as you can see here, these tomatoes are in good spirits – fresh, sparkly, and ready for anything.

I can never resist cherry tomatoes, especially when they come in different sizes (from cherry to blueberry), shapes (check out the elongated ones in the foreground), and colors (from brilliant reds, to pale orange, to green). I found these ones at the Sunday market in my neighbourhood. So no, these were not a sweet gift from the media :)

I do have two media mentions to share though, both being occasions about which I was fairly excited/nervous (eep!). I'm happy to report that, so far, no rotten tomatoes in sight!

The first is a feature on food bloggers in this month’s issue of Rogue magazine (their 2009 Appetite issue). I have mentioned Rogue before (over here) and since then they have just gotten better and better. A more interesting and cutting edge local magazine I would be hard pressed to find. And I’m not just saying that because it was through their shoot that I got to meet awesome veteran photographer Neal Oshima, oh no. Not even because they bought me the sweet smelling watermelon I posed with (yes, me and a watermelon, proceed with caution!), no no. I say it because it’s true...it’s always a pleasure to read through Rogue :) Why was I nervous? Because I was desperate that I not turn into a blathering dork in front of afore-mentioned awesome photographer (who also happened to be really nice and funny!). To this day I wonder...in any case, it was a very good watermelon!

I’m there with 9 other food bloggers from these parts: Marketman of Market Manila, Lori of Dessert Comes First, Anton of Our Awesome Planet, Spanky of Manila Boy, Ivan of Ivan About Town, Christine of Hundred Pound Foodie, and Franco, Paul, and Mariko of Table for Three Please. The write-up was done by a good food-loving friend (who I met through blogging!) who also happens to be a great writer (and she did a terrific job!). Yay :)

Now, the second...the second actually involved a lot more nervousness. Why? Because I haven’t really been on TV much. At all. Gulp. But you only live once so I decided to be bold and say yes! It’ll just be a short interview about this blog with one of the most charming hosts that ever walked our shores (yes, she is just as lovely as she looks!)...so if you’re curious, and in the Philippines, tune in to Studio 23 this Sunday, August 9, at 7:00pm :) Hopefully there will be no rotten tomatoes!

As for the tomatoes in the photo? These went into one of my favourite tomato salads...I have this funny thing about tomatoes and salads. But that’s for another day...

29 comments:

Lori said...

Joey,
It's a most darling photo of you in Rogue. Kudos! And I'll watch you on the tube this Sunday.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Congrats! That's awesome!

I love cherry tomatoes!

Cheers,

Rosa

Katrina said...

YAY, so happy you liked it! :-) I've got to get my copy already.

And how exciting about the TV appearance! I hope I'll be home to catch it, as I'm usually out at that time.

I always prefer to buy cherry tomatoes, because lazy me likes the fact that I don't have to cut them up. :-D

Anh said...

Oh so good news! Can you tape the interview and post it here? PLS!!!

Divina Pe, RHN said...

Congratulations

Soma said...

OH ! such good news! congrats joey! How exciting, but i can imagine being nervous.

pretty tomatoes, wouldn't do anything with them but eat raw.

Marvin said...

Many many congratulations, Joey! I hope you'll be able to post some of the pictures and some of the video for those of us who can't seem them;)

Christina said...

Any way to see Rogue online, for those of us not in the Philippines?

Congrats Joey!

Marta said...

Congratulations on the exposure!!!!! You deserve it! I'm glad you went for the challenge and the excitement, you do only live once!
And blueberry-sized tomatoes? I cannot think of a cuter thing!

Barbara said...

How exciting. Wish we could see it here.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Agree with your first paragraph, my favorite movie review site is called rottentomatoes.com but it's very good. ;)

corrine said...

That's exciting, Joey! Saw your photo in MM's blog. I hope the issue is already out. hope to catch you this sunday. Those are really nice cherry toms. My problem is getting ones that are more or less the same size. Ones I get in the supermarket differs too much in size. Love those with pasta with lots of garlic, basil, and EVOO. Yum!

Ash said...

Wow! Fantastic news! And such lovely cherry tomatoes!

cheers

Junglefrog said...

O how exciting! And I could see why you would be nervous about all this! Is there anywhere we who do not live in the philippines can still watch? I'd love to see!

Lina said...

ohhh love tomatoes! congrats~!

ChichaJo said...

Hi Lori! Thanks! :) You looked fabulous!

Thanks Rosa!

Hi Katrina! Yes...it’s a great issue! And I liked all your write-ups :) Hope I’m halfway understandable of tv...zoiks! Hehe, cherry tomatoes are good is so many ways :)

Hi Anh! Will see what we can do! :)

Thanks Divine :)

Hi Soma! Thank you :) I love tomatoes raw with salt...yum!

Hi Marvin! Thanks! Will see what I can get! :)

Hi Christina! It’s not online now but according to Rogue they will be putting it online after the September issue hits the stands...so I’ll post a link here when that happens :)

Hi Marta! Thank you! :) Yes, you only live one...and both shoots were fun :) I love the teeny cherry tomatoes...so cute!

Hi Barbara! I’ll post a link for the magazine feature as soon as it’s up!

Hi Bee! Yup, know that website too! :)

Hi Corrine! The issue is already in newsstands :) That is a fresh-sounding pasta – yes, definitely enjoy it that way too! I actually like them in different sizes so the plate looks odd and asymmetrical :)

Hi Ash! Thanks! :)

Hi Junglefrog! Yup, I was quite jittery! Will see if there is any way they have online clips or something... :)

Hi Lina! Thanks :)

Manggy said...

Oh cr*p, I just missed it. So sorry Joey :( (Oh wait, I was at the gym...) I hope someone uploaded it to Youtube!
Congratulations on the Rogue magazine feature! Yipee indeed!! :)

princess_dyanie said...

Hi Joey! I saw you on US girls earlier! weeee! does it mean more tv features? yay! :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Woo-hoo! Way to go, Joey! You totally deserve the good press!

Paz said...

congratulations! awesome news!

paz (loving the cherry tomatoes)

Stepford Mum said...

Saw you on tv, Jo! You were great!! And Angel is lovely, isn't she? She is Lee's friend and used to date a friend of mine so I've met her a few times. Always charming and pleasant to run into :)

ChichaJo said...

Hi Manggy! Thanks! :) Oh my...good luck with the gym!

Hi Princess Dyanie! Hehe, hope you enjoyed the segment :) Who knows! I’m just happy cooking, eating, and blogging with all of you :)

Hi Susan! Thank you! :)

Thanks Paz! Will be posting about the tomatoes soon!

Hi SM! Thank you! She truly is lovely and charming! :)

liezl said...

is this the one featured in US Girls tv show (blogging episode)? love your posts...yummy food :)

veron said...

Oh, congrats Joey! I wish I could see a copy of the Rogue, I will have my brother get me a copy. And looking forward to your recap on your tv appearance! Please tape it and post it here.

Erin said...

How exciting! Congratulations, it sounds like you had a great time.

Midge said...

Kudos on being featured in Rogue and appearing on TV!

ChichaJo said...

Hi Liezl! Yes, that’s the one :) Thanks for your nice comment...hope you’ll be back!

Hi Veron! If I can get a video of it I’ll post a link...hope you can get the Rogue copy, it’s a really great local magazine!

Hi Erin! It was and I did have a good time...Neal Oshima was terrific and the host (Angel Aquino) and crew of Us Girls (the tv show) were really nice :)

Hi Midge! Thanks! :)

Bordeaux said...

Cool about the interview! I wish I was over there so I could watch it.

ChichaJo said...

Hi Bordeaux! Thanks! It was fun :)