I have never been very good at blog events. That is not to say that I don't enjoy them...I do! Let's just say that I can be less than expert when it comes to deadlines. A line that, unfortunately, am just at the wrong side of as I hurriedly type. But I just can't miss this event, even if I am a little bit tardy...
Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream butter at medium speed in large bowl.
- Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy. Then add eggs.
- Combine flours. Add to butter mixture in four parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the batter into cups so they are ¾ full.
- Bake until the tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes.
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place butter, milk, vanilla extract and 4 cups of sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, once cup at a time until thick.
- Add a few drops of food coloring if desired and mix thoroughly.
- Spread icing on cooled cupcakes.
I have never actually been to the Magnolia Bakery so I can't compare how these measure up to the originals. That being said, they were, as I'd hoped, cheery and delicious, with a light crumb and a warming vanilla scent. The icing I found to be a little bit runny but that could just be our hot weather taking it's toll on my poor buttercream! I found the heart sprinkles in a terrific baking supplies store I had recently visited for the first time. And yes, I did pick out all the yellow ones for the first two cupcakes...it's the least I could do for being late, don't you think?
Thank you Barbara for hosting another round of A Taste Of Yellow and for being such an inspiration and a great blogger friend to boot! I hope you like my heart as much as I admire yours :)